The key to life is not accumulation. It's contribution. Hands that serve help more than the lips that pray.

Friday, June 11, 2021

NOVA Ion 6 XS 70-90

NOVA Ion 6 XS  70-90 

I could finally get my hands on the Ion 6 in XS size.  I flew that glider at 86 all up.

The construction and finishing details are excellent! Lots of stuff coming with the glider as seen in the picture.

                    It is easy to launch the Ion 6 in 10 km wind, without touching the A risers!  Smooth rise with no surge or delay. 

In the air, the brake travel is relatively short with moderate pressure, to react but long and forgiving if pulled. But I only used 15 cm of the brake travel in most conditions. I flew in some strong and turbulent air and the very high comfort under the Ion 6 delivers an immense feel of passive safety. The feedback under the ION 6 is accurate but very polite! delivering a comfortable ride with the necessary feedback to enjoy every moment. 

Usually, I find some low B gliders to be boring by the very restricted and dull feel under them. But not under the Ion 6, which gave me the pleasure I needed to fly it with a relaxed smile. 

The gliding power of that low B is surprisingly good for achieving long XC’s. I had some low saves also, and the accurate brakes helped a lot in getting the weak ones. The ION 6 climbs also well. 

The speed over trim is around 11 km/h. Ears are stable, efficient, and reopen alone. 

Conclusion: I think NOVA managed to create an impressive package of “performance, comfort, pleasure” in a single glider. I’m mostly certain that in some good XC days, the pilot under the Ion 6 will achieve his goal while having fun, and still with plenty of energy left in him. Test flying the ION 6 XS could be highly addictive!

No comments: