The key to life is not accumulation. It's contribution. Hands that serve help more than the lips that pray.

Saturday, August 29, 2026

ADVANCE TAU





ADVANCE TAU / 2 liner EN-C

In late 2026, ADVANCE released their 2-liner EN-C, the TAU.
It has a 6.5 aspect ratio and has a two-riser construction.
I have the sizes 21 and 23 here.
First, I will write the test about the 23, and later I will comment on the differences between the 21 and the 23.

The TAU has a semi-light construction compared to, for example, a Photon. ADVANCE calls it DLS.
Launching the 23 at 96 all-up, with a Flow VistaXC harness.
Pulling on the A’s is close in feel to launching a light glider. The TAU inflates evenly, without any hard point. Overall, the TAU's launch behavior for a C-class 2-liner is excellent.

Handling and maneuverability.
I flew the TAU in different air masses, from 800 m ASL to 3000 m ASL, at different sites.
With moderate to smooth pressure and feel, and with around 15 cm, I could immediately turn the TAU in thermals. The brake travel has a linear feel, and it gives the pilot a high degree of control authority, even in rough thermals. The turning inside the core could allow some narrow turns to place the glider inside small bubbles. The pressure on the brakes after long flights is not tiring and resembles the feel of the pressure under the Sage.
Overall, the handling could be very satisfying for many pilots and is described as very nice and pleasurable for that class of gliders.

Movements and comfort.
At sizes 23 and 96,97, I think this is the optimum weight, even in strong conditions. At those weights, I found the TAU to be quite comfortable to fly for the 6.5 AR C-class gliders. I can place it in the middle of that class in terms of overall movements. (I am ‘only’ writing about the size 23) The 21 feels a bit different, and I will write a few words later.
The pitch movements are dampened with a slight or very slight stop before entry. It doesn’t pull you to the front like the Torre, for example. The roll is very balanced and also under 23 for that category. I could place it in the middle part of the ease-to-fly category, compared to all the 2-liners I have already tested. So practically, the TAU 23 is a comfortable glider to fly. That category doesn’t include the Alpina 5, which has a 6 aspect ratio and is easier than all the higher-aspect-ratio C-class gliders. But of course, not the same performance…

Glide and climb
This part interests many pilots. I personally look for that blend of performance and pleasure in flight, as I am not into pure competition but rather favor free XC flights. When flying all those 2-liner Cs, I personally found that the Photon has the edge in overall efficiency. The TAU overall performance could place it in the top 3 of that category. The glide at top speed is really good, and the speed at full bar is similar to the Cure 3.
So the overall glide performance is very competitive at trim and the speed bar, and could easily win some serial class competition with a skilled pilot.
Perhaps the overall performance surpasses the Omega ULS…But that’s my personal opinion Wink
Climbing in weak thermals is also rewarding under the TAU. I could float in those tiny lifts. The TAU 23 didn’t lose the core, and it was always waiting for another stronger thermal. In strong climbs, the homogeneity and character of that glider will surely give its pilot a large smile, as it offers a good climb plus that good brake authority.
My C comparison is already updated for TAU 23 for pilots who care about the very little details.


Feel
This is the most important factor in any glider. That part is different for many pilots. At first, if you have the skills to fly any C-class glider, then let's talk about the feel.
The feel under the TAU 23 is like having a solid, smooth, and indestructible structure at the same time… Under the TAU, a high usable-performance feel gives the pilot the freedom to explore further.
It is like an Iota on steroids. It needs perhaps 35 % control over the Iota, but simple for that class of pilots.

While on the speed bar, the B risers have moderate pressure on the first half of the speed bar, and a bit lighter on the second half, and can easily control the glider's reactions in turbulence, while not being tiring.
The speed bar has firm pressure and is slightly firmer at the second bar. The top speed is around 16-17 over trim with a very good glide angle.

The ears are doable with outer A’s and outer B’s. Moderately efficient to descend.

Conclusion:
Under the TAU 23, I had a good time test flying it. The high performance, coupled with a swift, agile feel, is the cherry on the cake. I cannot comment on the high price because…it is quite high Smile
Pilots who will be flying the ADVANCE TAU will get: A beautiful glider in every aspect, with high usable performance and an agile, smooth feel.
I also believe that we will see a few on the serial-class podiums this year.

Video being uploaded Smile

Cheers,
Ziad

No comments: